Unlocking Sustainability in the Tourism Industry
Green Key is a voluntary program, which is a commitment to ecological behavior, an environmental compliance label, a symbol which signifies the full adoption of conditions which constitute an ecological profile, a model of excellence for all those who combine development with sustainability and ensure operation without environmental burden.
In 1994, Denmark became the first country to apply it for the first time, while in 2002 the program was adopted by the Foundation for Environmental Education, an international NGO based in Denmark that focuses all its activities for a sustainable world through education. The Foundation’s programs include except the Green Key, the Blue Flag, Eco-Schools, Υoung reporters fot the Environmental and the Learning about forests.
In 2009, Green Key was launched in Greece, where it was immediately recognized and implemented by dozens of establishments. Within a few years, the certified with the Green Key ecolabel establishments are rapidly increased. In Greece, the national operator of the Green Key program is the oldest environmental organization with decades of proven work record, the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature.
By choosing a Green Key awarded establishment we reduce our environmental footprint without compromising comfort and quality.
For the certification of a hospitality establishment with the Green Key, strict environmental criteria and requirements are set. The Green Key program operators, document with strict and continuous audits the adherence to the criteria and the requirements stipulated by the organization, according to the international standards of the Foundation for Environmental Education.
Green Key is addressed to:
- Small Accommodations
- Guest Houses
- Convention centers
- Camping, Campsites, Glamping
- Theme Parks
Our goal is :
The main goal of the Green Key is to reduce the footprint of tourism establishments in the environment. To achieve this goal, Green Key aims to:
- the use of environmentally friendly products, the adoption of environmentally friendly technologies and to the overall operation of the establishments included in the tourism industry in a way that does not burden the environment and does not contribute to the depletion of natural resources.
- raise awareness in employees of the tourism industry businesses and their guests and suppliers, in saving the environment and reversing global warming, and the depletion of natural resources. As a result, Green Key aims to the behavioral change of people and the
- adoption of daily practices that safeguard the environment.
- increase the use of environmentally sustainable methods, friendly to the environment, as a result of public awareness and the shift of the tourism industry into the model of environmentally sustainable development.
You have the power to choose among the hotels of your choice, those that have Green Key environmental certification and support those companies which implement environmental sustainable development practices.